Objectively speaking, writing hasn’t been going well lately. Blog posts are late. Everything else has stopped entirely.
This is in spite of the fact that I have a plethora of new experiences to draw on. I have a new part-time job I love; I’ve been attempting freelance writing; I found a bakery, a restaurant, and two bars I enjoyed; I even changed my own tire.
Theory one: The problem is the writing itself. Looking back on the work I did last year, I was experimenting with styles and that made it fun to write and fun to read.
Theory two: While I have been finding inspiration in my hometown, the environment in which I actually write (my desk/writing corner) is intimidating, making it difficult to work.
Theory three: My emotional state has left it difficult to find the energy to do things and write about them.
Theory four, and this one has legs: Some combination of the three where the problems compound so it becomes impossible to overcome any one of them.
Other things happening right now:
- Thanks to my AMAZING employee discount, I own a $600 bag but my debit card got declined for a $13 purchase at the grocery store. The irony. But I still haven’t used my credit card since I got this job, and the purse was a MILLION percent off, so I don’t feel bad about it. I just find it hilarious.
- Brad Paisley’s new CD came out last week and, for the first time in years, I haven’t bought it yet and don’t know if I will. I didn’t love the singles “Without a Fight” or “Today,” which was unusual in itself.
- I’ve been feeling sick lately. No water + no vegetables = sick Kari. Time to go back on Weight Watchers because it’s the best way I’ve found to keep me personally accountable to healthy eating and exercise.
- After going through old “keepsakes,” I got rid of a ton of papers from high school and all but three trophies. It’s funny, the things that mattered back then: the grades, the test scores…I kind of wish I’d done more stupid things at that age.
- The new Power Rangers is a fantastic movie, and you should go see it in theaters. I also really loved Sense and Sensibility, and I miss Alan Rickman SO much.
- Planning to do some fun things in May, leading up to something REALLY COOL in June. There will be a blog post about it, but if you want pictures or specific updates…